Agriculture & Erosion Control
Barrier Safety Products
Civil Construction Gabion Baskets and Geotextiles
Dam Lining Solutions
Save Water with Spaarwater
uPVC Fascia, Barge, H-Profiles & Ceiling Boards
Gabion Baskets and Reno / River Mattresses
Gabions Baskets and Reno / River Mattresses are baskets/containers manufactured to SANS 1580 with hexagonal woven wire Mesh, Type 80. Commonly referred to as double twist wire mesh. The steel wire used in the manufacturing of Gabions is heavily galvanised to class A with zinc or zinc alloy (
The most common civil engineering use of gabions was refined and patented by Gaetano Maccaferri in the late 1800's and used to stabilize shorelines, stream banks or slopes against erosion. Other uses include retaining walls, noise barriers, temporary flood walls, silt filtration from runoff, for small or temporary/permanent dams, river training, or channel lining. They may be used to direct the force of a flow of flood water around a vulnerable structure. They are also increasingly being used in architectural applications as well.
Gabions are available in a range of sizes. They are measured firstly in length x width x height of basket (all measurements in metres).
Specifications: Hexagonal Woven Mesh type, Class A Galvanised OR with an additional 0.50mm PVC coating of aperture 80 x 100mm, mesh wire diameter of 2.7mm and salvage wire diameter of 3.4mm. SANS 1580:2001
Reno / River Mattress
Specifications: Hexagonal Woven Mesh type, Class A Galvanised OR with an additional 0.50mm PVC coating of aperture 60 x 80mm, mesh wire diameter of 2.2mm and salvage wire diameter of 2.7mm. SANS 1580:2001
Features and Benefits
- Sustainable – Carbon footprint analyses show that the use of a gabion solution can reduce CO2 emissions by up to 80% compared to a concrete retaining wall of the same height. If allowed to grow, vegetation can establish within a gabion wall, which can further contribute to carbon sequestration of the solution.
- Beautiful at a glance – Aesthetics are important. Large unsubtle concrete structures are unnecessary, as gabion walls contribute an element of prestige to your infrastructure. Classic concrete walls or retaining walls are monolithic, while gabion retaining wall blocks, filled with local material, are more in sympathy with their surroundings. Gabion structures can also be designed so that re-vegetation takes place when plants colonise the interstitial spaces between the rock fill, thus returning the solution to nature. We could say that gabions are a way to secure nature with itself!
- Budget-friendly – Historically, in order to build beautiful infrastructure, great investments were necessary. Things are a little different with gabions, as their inherent nature reduces transportation and the overall retaining wall cost. But just tagging gabions as a low-cost solution would be unfair. Gabions are a high value-added product as their return is unmeasurable if you take into account variables such as environmental and aesthetical achievements.
- Smart and flexible – Who says that gabions are only a rural solution? Many modern buildings and infrastructure being designed or updated today are making use of gabions in order to renew their look and meet the demands of sustainability. Gabion solutions constitute an architectural lever when it comes to landscaping and urban design.
- Scalable – Even if the baseline technology remains the same, the wire-mesh of each retaining wall block can be adapted to different needs. Gabions structures, furthermore, are perfectly scalable as they can be used for massive structures but also for small-scale constructions.
Contact us today at email@example.comREQUEST A QUOTE