Agriculture & Nursery Products
Barrier Safety Products
Civil Construction Products
Erosion Control Products
Roof Insulation & Ducting
Save Water with Spaarwater
uPVC Fascia, Barge, H-Profiles & Ceiling Boards
Gabion Baskets and Reno / River Mattresses
Gabion Baskets and Gabion Mattresses are wire mesh containers / boxes that are filled with rocks or stones to form retaining structures. The baskets and mattresses are manufactured from hexagonal double twist steel mesh wire. The steel wire used to manufacture gabion baskets and mattresses are available in the following specifications;
- Class A Galvanised.
- Class A Galvanised with an additional 0.50mm plastic PVC coating – typically used when the gabion installation is near or in water.
- GalFan – 95% Class A Galvanised plus 5% Aluminium wire
- GalFan wire with an additional 0.50mm plastic PVC coating
Gabion baskets and mattresses are durable, flexible and preamble. Even over time when the mesh starts to corrode, silt and vegetation will combine with the rock filling, forming a permanent structure. The strength and flexibility of the double twist wire mesh withstands forces generated by water and earth conditions and permits the baskets to tolerate settlement. The high permeability of gabion fill provides automatic drainage to your structure.
Gabion Baskets and mattresses are used in Retaining structures and Anti-Corrosion Structures, such as sea walls, river bank defences, canal banks, dams and lakesides
Gabion Baskets are available in the following sizes;
Specifications: Hexagonal Woven Mesh, aperture 80 x 100mm, mesh wire diameter of 2.7mm and salvage wire diameter of 3.4mm. SANS 1580:2001
Gabion Mattresses are available in the following sizes;
Specifications: Hexagonal Woven Mesh, aperture 60 x 80mm, mesh wire diameter of 2.2mm and salvage wire diameter of 2.7 mm. SANS 1580:2001
Features and Benefits
- Sustainable – Carbon footprint analyses show that the use of a gabion solution can reduce CO2 emissions by up to 80% compared to a concrete retaining wall of the same height. If allowed to grow, vegetation can establish within a gabion wall, which can further contribute to carbon sequestration of the solution.
- Beautiful at a glance – Aesthetics are important. Large unsubtle concrete structures are unnecessary, as gabion walls contribute an element of prestige to your infrastructure. Classic concrete walls or retaining walls are monolithic, while gabion retaining wall blocks, filled with local material, are more in sympathy with their surroundings. Gabion structures can also be designed so that re-vegetation takes place when plants colonise the interstitial spaces between the rock fill, thus returning the solution to nature. We could say that gabions are a way to secure nature with itself!
- Budget-friendly – Historically, in order to build beautiful infrastructure, great investments were necessary. Things are a little different with gabions, as their inherent nature reduces transportation and the overall retaining wall cost. But just tagging gabions as a low-cost solution would be unfair. Gabions are a high value-added product as their return is unmeasurable if you take into account variables such as environmental and aesthetical achievements.
- Smart and flexible – Who says that gabions are only a rural solution? Many modern buildings and infrastructure being designed or updated today are making use of gabions in order to renew their look and meet the demands of sustainability. Gabion solutions constitute an architectural lever when it comes to landscaping and urban design.
- Scalable – Even if the baseline technology remains the same, the wire-mesh of each retaining wall block can be adapted to different needs. Gabions structures, furthermore, are perfectly scalable as they can be used for massive structures but also for small-scale constructions.
Contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.orgREQUEST A QUOTE